Find out some tips ASIC has provided to help protect you online.
- Always keep your computer security up to date with anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a good firewall. Only buy a computer and anti-virus software from a reputable source.
- Use your security software to run a virus check if you think your computer’s security has been compromised. If you still have doubts, contact your anti-virus software provider or a computer specialist.
- Secure your networks and devices, and avoid using public computers or Wi-Fi hotspots to access or provide personal information.
- Choose passwords and PINs that would be difficult for others to guess, and update them regularly. Do not save them on your phone or computer.
- Do not open attachments or click on links in emails or social media messages you’ve received from strangers – just press delete.
- Be wary of free downloads and website access, such as music, games, movies and adult sites. They may install harmful programs without you knowing.
- Do not use software that auto-completes online forms.